On 1/16/2014 1:57 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 3:54 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 1/16/2014 10:06 AM, Jason Resch wrote:

    On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 11:37 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net
    <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

        On 1/15/2014 10:59 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

        On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 6:46 PM, <spudboy...@aol.com
        <mailto:spudboy...@aol.com>> wrote:

            Ok, speculatively jumping into the Tegmark book, which I am plodding
            through and his 4 levels of the multiverse, I need to throw out this
            question. Is it even possible, in principle, to physically traverse
into
            another universe, a parallel universe, and then back again? I do
not mran
            in the David Deutsch sense of performing cross cosmic quantum
            calculations, but directly, mollecularly, boots on the ground,
traveling
            there and back again?

        Molecularly, I'd say no, but consciously I'd say yes. If we froze you on
        Earth, and then coincidentally Aliens 100 trillion ly away from us made
an
        exact version out of you out of matter they had on hand, and then they
thawed
        you, you would travel these 100 trillion ly. This journey is impossible
for
        matter or energy to make, impossible for anything physical, yet your
        consciousness did it. For the same reason, someone in an altogether
different
physical universe could do the same thing and enable you to travel there. There would be no causal link, however, to whatever memories you formed in
        that universe and whatever version of you we create to unthaw and bring
you
        back, it would be again an entire coincidence for us to get it just
right so
        the one we thaw matches the one the aliens in the distant land decided
to freeze.

        In a sense, we are performing these traversals all the time, but only
between
        distant universes similar enough to the one we are in a moment before,
that we
        don't notice it.  You might be sitting there quietly in Earth
#313812031 one
        moment, then the next instant you are actually on Earth #173119389
(which was
        an Earth that reappeared after 10^200 cyclical big crunch and big bang
cycles)
        from the moment you were just in.

        But then you've made incomprehensible nonsense of what is meant by
"you".

    How so?  Just because you can't attach your consciousness to a particular
    collection of atoms at a particular time and place?  "You" are something
different
    than those atoms., as our metabolism proves daily.

    You can't attach it to anything - or even to it's own history, since you
discard
    memories.  It has nothing to unify it into being an "it".

No memories were discarded in the above. In fact I specified that the brain states be exactly equal at each freeze/remote thaw cycle.

OK, I missed that point. But I still see no sense that can be made of a statement like "You might be sitting there quietly in Earth #313812031 one moment, then the next instant you are actually on Earth #173119389" Are you supposing that the Earth you are sitting on has nothing to do with what future is more probable and that some other Earth might be a more probable continuation - and in what sense it would an "other" Earth if it was compatible with you can your memories?

Brent

Jason