On 1/16/2014 5:49 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 7:31 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 3:54 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net

        On 1/16/2014 10:06 AM, Jason Resch wrote:

        On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 11:37 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net
        <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

            On 1/15/2014 10:59 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

            On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 6:46 PM, <spudboy...@aol.com
            <mailto:spudboy...@aol.com>> wrote:

                Ok, speculatively jumping into the Tegmark book, which I am
plodding
                through and his 4 levels of the multiverse, I need to throw out
this
                question. Is it even possible, in principle, to physically
traverse
                into another universe, a parallel universe, and then back
again? I do
                not mran in the David Deutsch sense of performing cross cosmic
                quantum calculations, but directly, mollecularly, boots on the
                ground, traveling there and back again?

            Molecularly, I'd say no, but consciously I'd say yes. If we froze
you on
            Earth, and then coincidentally Aliens 100 trillion ly away from us
made
            an exact version out of you out of matter they had on hand, and
then they
            thawed you, you would travel these 100 trillion ly. This journey is
            impossible for matter or energy to make, impossible for anything
            physical, yet your consciousness did it.  For the same reason,
someone in
            an altogether different physical universe could do the same thing
and
            enable you to travel there. There would be no causal link, however,
            whatever memories you formed in that universe and whatever version
of you
            we create to unthaw and bring you back, it would be again an entire
            coincidence for us to get it just right so the one we thaw matches
the
            one the aliens in the distant land decided to freeze.

            In a sense, we are performing these traversals all the time, but
only
            between distant universes similar enough to the one we are in a
moment
            before, that we don't notice it. You might be sitting there quietly
in
            Earth #313812031 one moment, then the next instant you are actually
on
            Earth #173119389 (which was an Earth that reappeared after 10^200
            cyclical big crunch and big bang cycles) from the moment you were
just in.

            But then you've made incomprehensible nonsense of what is meant by
"you".

        How so?  Just because you can't attach your consciousness to a
particular
        collection of atoms at a particular time and place?  "You" are something
        different than those atoms., as our metabolism proves daily.

        You can't attach it to anything - or even to it's own history, since you
        discard memories.  It has nothing to unify it into being an "it".

    No memories were discarded in the above. In fact I specified that the brain
states
    be exactly equal at each freeze/remote thaw cycle.

    OK, I missed that point.  But I still see no sense that can be made of a
statement
    like "You might be sitting there quietly in Earth #313812031 one moment,
then the
the Earth
    you are sitting on has nothing to do with what future is more probable and
that some
    other Earth might be a more probable continuation -

Each one has an equal weight in my mind.

    and in what sense it would an "other" Earth if it was compatible with you
can your
    memories?

In no subjective sense are they different, only from a God's eye view could you see the difference between them. We might not have a way to keep a tally of how many collapse cycles our universe has undergone, but if someone were simulating the physics of this universe they could count the number, and how frequently exact replicas of Earth, or you, appear in them.

But if it were an exact replica it would be the same one - especially in a computational/information model. Remember Leibniz's identity of indiscernibles.