On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 12:10:23PM +1300, LizR wrote:
> On 18 January 2014 11:34, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> >  It doesn't mean anything.  There are microtubles in all cells.  So why
> > don't I think with my penis...oh...never mind.  :-)
> >

> Teehee. You're not the messiah, you're a very naught boy!
>
> I thought Tegmark showed that the Penrose theory is unlikely (by some
> ridiculously large factor) because the brain isn't supercooled and isolated
> from influences that may cause decoherence within about 10^-25 seconds...

Exactly. Quantum superposition within microtubules seems an unlikely
source of computational power within the brain. Quantum randomness is
more likely to occur due to thermal fluctuations across the synaptic
gap, and I quite agree with Edgar that it is an essential part of the
only sensible conception of free will (the ability to act irrationality).

Not that Edgar is the first to say it, nor would I claim that title
for myself :).

Cheers