On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 07:54:08PM -0500, Stephen Paul King wrote:
> Dear spudboy100,
>
>   As far as I know, no. It isn't possible to shift from one "universe" into
> another and back. The universes are orthogonal to each other; they are not
> stacked like sheets of paper on top of each other. The universes for
> systems that involve multiple particles and not just single isolated
> particles are scary hard to compute and thus track under the
> transformation. Moving from one to another is a non-commutative
> transformation at best. If we where to figure out how to shift (ala
> Philadelphia
> Experiment <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Experiment>) into
> another, the phases and positions of objects is more likely to get
> scrambled then not, making a big mess.

I disagree, quite vehemently. All it takes to visit another universe
is to have near perfect virtual reality technology, such as David
Deutsch discusses in his books. (Obviously current VR technology is
not up to snuff, but there is no in principle reason why the
technology will never be invented, given sufficient understanding of
neurophysiology).

One can, for example, go back and visit and event in ancient rome. If
your VR system encodes all knowledge we have about that event, we have
travelled back to an event in our past. If not, then we have travelled
to an alternate universe (an elternate historical past).

Clearly, our present is not necessarily the experienced future of that
past event, as indeterminism kicks in. This means that the Grandfather
paradox is resolved, and you'll never get rich playing the lottery by
time travel.

A background assumption to all of this is that reality is some kind of
multiverse, of course :).

Cheers