On 19 Jan 2014, at 05:18, Russell Standish wrote:

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 10:38:58PM -0500, Stephen Paul King wrote:
Dear Russell,

 I am soo happy, BTW, that you participate in this list!

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 9:42 PM, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au >wrote:

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 09:08:04PM -0500, Stephen Paul King wrote:
Dear Russell,

 I would agree with you IFF the substitution level is way above the
micro-scale. Molecules do operate quantum mechanically and molecules are
above the substitution level. So I am skeptical.
 Virtual reality in silico would have to have have a quantum level
resolution do do what D.D. would like. I think that we should take his teleportation into the past = a VR of the past with a large dose of salt. What was it that Feynman said about simulating the quantum with classical machines? Something about exponential slow down. So I guess that we could run a VR of the past, but it would be freaking expensive and not last
long.

Who said we had to use a classical machine? At this point in time,
large quantum computers appear to be feasible, and this would get
around the difficulty you mention.

Ultimately, all that is required is to generate information at the
rate at which we perceive it - large, certainly, by today's
technology - but certainly finite and down to Earth.

But would we not have to destructively scan the system to be able to
implement in on the Q-computer. No cloning! It seems that QM demands a very
strong form of FPI! I can not even know for sure by inspection of its
states what computation it is. All I can gleam is a distribution of
possible outputs given some prepared state.

I don't know why you would think destructive scanning is necessary. I
certainly don't. You only need to wire up the brains inputs and
outputs. I thought the problem you were raising was how to
emulate the universe with sufficient fidelity for it to count as
visiting other universes. That seems quite doable to me, although it
might require quantum computers.

It does make some sense, but it is not in the sense of actually visiting our own quantum superposition, or visiting the Everett quantum parallel universe (linearity prevents this).

Now, saying "yes" for a doctor who propose a *quantum* brain, gives the possibility to "visit parallel universe", in a sense enough to detect them (and test the idea. That's Deutsch proposal), but you come back with an amnesia of anything particular about each universe. You can still get some information (like a Fourier transform) of all what you have done and see in the parallel realities. This is still not visiting a parallel state of one self, which would contradict the linearity of QM, thermodynamic, GR, etc. Now, if you are willing to abandon QM, and GR, and SR (I think), and thermodynamic, then adding non linearity on the SWE, keeping correct QM as an a approximation entail that we can interact with the parallel universes (a result by Weinberg and somehow Plaga). I would not bet on this, though.

Principal, High Performance Coders