On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 09:08:04PM -0500, Stephen Paul King wrote:
> Dear Russell,
>
>   I would agree with you IFF the substitution level is way above the
> micro-scale. Molecules do operate quantum mechanically and molecules are
> above the substitution level. So I am skeptical.
>   Virtual reality in silico would have to have have a quantum level
> resolution do do what D.D. would like. I think that we should take his
> teleportation into the past = a VR of the past with a large dose of salt.
> What was it that Feynman said about simulating the quantum with classical
> machines? Something about exponential slow down. So I guess that we could
> run a VR of the past, but it would be freaking expensive and not last long.

Who said we had to use a classical machine? At this point in time,
large quantum computers appear to be feasible, and this would get
around the difficulty you mention.

Ultimately, all that is required is to generate information at the
rate at which we perceive it - large, certainly, by today's
technology - but certainly finite and down to Earth.

Cheers