Dear Russell,

  I would agree with you IFF the substitution level is way above the
micro-scale. Molecules do operate quantum mechanically and molecules are
above the substitution level. So I am skeptical.
  Virtual reality in silico would have to have have a quantum level
resolution do do what D.D. would like. I think that we should take his
teleportation into the past = a VR of the past with a large dose of salt.
What was it that Feynman said about simulating the quantum with classical
machines? Something about exponential slow down. So I guess that we could
run a VR of the past, but it would be freaking expensive and not last long.

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 8:00 PM, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au>wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 07:54:08PM -0500, Stephen Paul King wrote:
> > Dear spudboy100,
> >
> >   As far as I know, no. It isn't possible to shift from one "universe"
> into
> > another and back. The universes are orthogonal to each other; they are
> not
> > stacked like sheets of paper on top of each other. The universes for
> > systems that involve multiple particles and not just single isolated
> > particles are scary hard to compute and thus track under the
> > transformation. Moving from one to another is a non-commutative
> > transformation at best. If we where to figure out how to shift (ala
> > Philadelphia
> > Experiment <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Experiment>) into
> > another, the phases and positions of objects is more likely to get
> > scrambled then not, making a big mess.
> >

> I disagree, quite vehemently. All it takes to visit another universe
> is to have near perfect virtual reality technology, such as David
> Deutsch discusses in his books. (Obviously current VR technology is
> not up to snuff, but there is no in principle reason why the
> technology will never be invented, given sufficient understanding of
> neurophysiology).
>
> One can, for example, go back and visit and event in ancient rome. If
> your VR system encodes all knowledge we have about that event, we have
> travelled back to an event in our past. If not, then we have travelled
> to an alternate universe (an elternate historical past).
>
> Clearly, our present is not necessarily the experienced future of that
> past event, as indeterminism kicks in. This means that the Grandfather
> paradox is resolved, and you'll never get rich playing the lottery by
> time travel.
>
> A background assumption to all of this is that reality is some kind of
> multiverse, of course :).
>
> Cheers

> Principal, High Performance Coders
> Visiting Professor of Mathematics      hpco...@hpcoders.com.au