On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 10:38:58PM -0500, Stephen Paul King wrote:
> Dear Russell,
>
>   I am soo happy, BTW, that you participate in this list!
>

> On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 9:42 PM, Russell Standish
> <li...@hpcoders.com.au>wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 09:08:04PM -0500, Stephen Paul King wrote:
> > > Dear Russell,
> > >
> > >   I would agree with you IFF the substitution level is way above the
> > > micro-scale. Molecules do operate quantum mechanically and molecules are
> > > above the substitution level. So I am skeptical.
> > >   Virtual reality in silico would have to have have a quantum level
> > > resolution do do what D.D. would like. I think that we should take his
> > > teleportation into the past = a VR of the past with a large dose of salt.
> > > What was it that Feynman said about simulating the quantum with classical
> > > machines? Something about exponential slow down. So I guess that we could
> > > run a VR of the past, but it would be freaking expensive and not last
> > long.
> > >

> > Who said we had to use a classical machine? At this point in time,
> > large quantum computers appear to be feasible, and this would get
> > around the difficulty you mention.
> >
> > Ultimately, all that is required is to generate information at the
> > rate at which we perceive it - large, certainly, by today's
> > technology - but certainly finite and down to Earth.
> >
> > But would we not have to destructively scan the system to be able to
> implement in on the Q-computer. No cloning! It seems that QM demands a very
> strong form of FPI! I can not even know for sure by inspection of its
> states what computation it is. All I can gleam is a distribution of
> possible outputs given some prepared state.

I don't know why you would think destructive scanning is necessary. I
certainly don't. You only need to wire up the brains inputs and
outputs. I thought the problem you were raising was how to
emulate the universe with sufficient fidelity for it to count as
visiting other universes. That seems quite doable to me, although it
might require quantum computers.