Dear Russell,

  I am soo happy, BTW, that you participate in this list!

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 9:42 PM, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au>wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 09:08:04PM -0500, Stephen Paul King wrote:
> > Dear Russell,
> >
> >   I would agree with you IFF the substitution level is way above the
> > micro-scale. Molecules do operate quantum mechanically and molecules are
> > above the substitution level. So I am skeptical.
> >   Virtual reality in silico would have to have have a quantum level
> > resolution do do what D.D. would like. I think that we should take his
> > teleportation into the past = a VR of the past with a large dose of salt.
> > What was it that Feynman said about simulating the quantum with classical
> > machines? Something about exponential slow down. So I guess that we could
> > run a VR of the past, but it would be freaking expensive and not last
> long.
> >

> Who said we had to use a classical machine? At this point in time,
> large quantum computers appear to be feasible, and this would get
> around the difficulty you mention.
>
> Ultimately, all that is required is to generate information at the
> rate at which we perceive it - large, certainly, by today's
> technology - but certainly finite and down to Earth.
>
> But would we not have to destructively scan the system to be able to
implement in on the Q-computer. No cloning! It seems that QM demands a very
strong form of FPI! I can not even know for sure by inspection of its
states what computation it is. All I can gleam is a distribution of
possible outputs given some prepared state.

--

Kindest Regards,

Stephen Paul King