On 4/12/2014 11:30 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 12 Apr 2014, at 01:43, meekerdb wrote:

On 4/11/2014 8:37 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
(2) create new race of beings, smarter and better than us, to explore the
universe.

This is what we do since the beginnings. We are them. The distinction between artificial and natural is artificial.

I deliberately avoided writing 'artificial beings', but I think they will be 'artificial' in the sense of being deliberately constructed as opposed to developed just by Darwinian evolution.

OK. I thought so. That is artificial too, actually, and thus natural for creature with some enough big ego, and which might not be completely wrong in thinking that they have some partial control, indeed (thanks god!).

"deliberately" involves "free-will". Some might argue if that is so much deliberate, especially from some 3p big picture. Machines too have a long history. Personally, I do agree that "deliberate" makes partial sense from our person points of view.

Whatever you call it, it is different from Darwinian evolution.