On 13 Apr 2014, at 20:55, meekerdb wrote:

On 4/13/2014 10:39 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 13 Apr 2014, at 01:32, meekerdb wrote:

On 4/12/2014 11:30 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 12 Apr 2014, at 01:43, meekerdb wrote:

On 4/11/2014 8:37 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
(2) create new race of beings, smarter and better than us, to explore the universe.

This is what we do since the beginnings. We are them. The distinction between artificial and natural is artificial.

I deliberately avoided writing 'artificial beings', but I think they will be 'artificial' in the sense of being deliberately constructed as opposed to developed just by Darwinian evolution.

OK. I thought so. That is artificial too, actually, and thus natural for creature with some enough big ego, and which might not be completely wrong in thinking that they have some partial control, indeed (thanks god!).

"deliberately" involves "free-will". Some might argue if that is so much deliberate, especially from some 3p big picture. Machines too have a long history. Personally, I do agree that "deliberate" makes partial sense from our person points of view.

Whatever you call it, it is different from Darwinian evolution.

?

This seems like semantic nit-picking. Because you can't put a "precise frontier" do you really want to say they are not different?

I see a difference at some level, but in the development of life, I don't se any frontier.

All right, let us say that after the invention of the ribosomes and DNA-proteines relation, it is no more Darwinian evolution.

The point is that they were not "inventions".

I guess you mean that they were not human invention, but that beg the question.

Do you want to obscure the distinction between invention and random variation?

I am not sure that the random variation plays the key role in evolution, some randomly created programs could have an important role, in the development of life. With the eukaryotic cell, it seems we have already an important complex software contained in the genome. Something like the mandelbrot set code can play some important role in the beginning, enough to doubt that it evolution is only random variation.

The rest is deliberate attempt to eat, and mate, through variation of the molecular means to address such goals.

And deliberate attempts to invent. Specifically, in the case under consideration, attempts to invent beings that would realize our ideals, but would be suited to travel to other planets and prosper there.

It will be us. We will be those beings. In the long run, we will transform ourselves and expand. Meanwhile such "robots" will prepare the places where we will live (be processed).

What is different between the success of a new protein, and a new human tool. The man tried to get the apple in the tree and eventually use a stick and get it, and then (perhaps much later) he realize he can strike also the beast going for the apple, etc.

The difference is that one is selected from random variation and the other is invented, possibly by evaluating, in thought, random ideas of tools. In practice the difference is that the latter is much faster. Over the last few millenia, cultural and technological evolution has far outstripped Darwinian evolution.

Is that not already the case with the "invention" of the nerve system? I see this as a question of degree. There are programs and meta- programs, local goals and global general goals, etc. Darwinian evolution is mixed with the active products of that evolution, so I am not sure we can so easily distinguish some pure random selection from the activity of what has been selected.

Very similar things appear at the molecular level, and at many possible biological meta-levels.

I am not sure you can put a precise frontier between Darwinism and "free-will". The Darwinian evolution has selected quickly machines/ programs having goals: eating enough, mating enough, and avoiding being eaten (to much). Then free-will and deliberate action becomes a matter of will and chance.