On Wednesday, May 14, 2014 7:31:17 PM UTC+1, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 14 May 2014, at 03:29, meekerdb wrote:
>
>  On 5/13/2014 6:11 PM, LizR wrote:
>
>  On 14 May 2014 11:15, meekerdb <meek...@verizon.net <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>>   On 5/13/2014 4:06 PM, LizR wrote:
>>
>>  On 14 May 2014 06:29, meekerdb <meek...@verizon.net <javascript:>>wrote:
>>
>>>  On 5/12/2014 9:40 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>>
>>> Turing **emulation** is only meaningful in the context of emulating one
>>> part relative to another part that is not emulated, i.e. is "real".
>>>
>>> If you say so. We can still listen to the machine, and compare with
>>> nature.
>>>
>>>  When we compare with nature we find that some things exist and some
>>> don't.
>>>

>>  Like other worlds don't exist, or atoms don't exist ... the question
>> about what exists hasn't been answered yet. Or indeed the question about
>> what it means for something to exist.
>>
>>  So is it your view that no matter what comp predicts it's not falsified
>> because it may be true somewhere else?
>>

>  I find it hard to read that into what I wrote. (Unless "no matter what
> comp predicts" is a slightly awkward, but potentially rather funny, pun?)
>
>  But anyway, no that isn't my view. Either comp is true or it isn't,
> which is to say, either consciousness is Turing emulable at some level, or
> it isn't. And if it is, either there is some flaw in what Bruno derives
> from that assumption, or there isn't.
>

> But the question is about how to test comp.  Bruno has offered that we
> should compare its predictions to observed physics.  My view is that this
> requires predictions about what happens here and now, where some things
> happen and some don't.  "Predictions" that something happens somewhere in
> the multiverse don't satisfy my idea of testable.
>

> But comp do prediction right now. At first sight it predicts white noise
> and white rabbits, but then we listen to the machines views on this, and
> the simplest pass from provability to probability (the local erasing of the
> cul-de-sac worlds) gives a quantization of the arithmetical sigma_1
> proposition. A good chance that arithmetic provided some quantum erazing,
> or destructive interference in the observations.
>
> To me, Gleason theorem somehow solve the measure problem for the quantum
> theory, but we have only some promise that it will be so for comp, as it
> needs to if comp is true.
>
> My point is that if you say yes to the doctor, and believe in peano
> Arithmetic, that concerns you.
>
> It is a problem. We have to find the equivalent of Gleason theorem in
> arithmetic, for the arithmetical quantum logics.
>
> I submit a problem, and I provided a testable part. The quantum
> propositional tautologies.
>
> Bruno

 So it looks like it isn't just me that doesn't understand your story of
testability.

So may I do a little test here.  Can anyone here, other than Bruno, explain
this paragraph in terms of realizable falsiibility and attest to that?

*"By looking to our neighborhood close enough to see if the physics   match
well a sum on infinities of computations. If comp is true, we   will learn
nothing, and can't conclude that comp has been proved, but   if there is a
difference, then we can know that comp is refuted (well,   comp + the
classical theory of knowledge)." *

How does the end part "well, comp + the classical theory of
knowledge" change the commitment to falsification?