On Sunday, May 18, 2014 4:07:20 PM UTC+1, Platonist Guitar Cowboy wrote:

> On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 4:50 PM, Richard Ruquist
> <yan...@gmail.com<javascript:>
> > wrote:
>

>> On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 5:37 AM, Bruno Marchal <mar...@ulb.ac.be<javascript:>
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> On 18 May 2014, at 05:41, Richard Ruquist wrote:
>>>
>>> Hibbs,
>>> I do not often share your opinion, but in this instance I do. It seems
>>> to me that Bruno's principal argument for comp is that it predicts MWI.
>>>

>>> The argument says that comp (believed by 99,9% of scientists today)
>>> entails the MWI. OK.
>>>

>> Not OK and not true.
>>

> So the majority of scientists don't believe in concept of function or
> mechanism (that comp aims to make precise and study the consequences of,
> given its step 0 assumptions)?

Isn't this a case of constructively building an association? I don't know
if 99% of scientists concur with computationalism or not, but that would be
a different question than whether scientists believe in the concept of
function and mechanism. In the same way that "do insurers support
speculative litigation" would be a different question than "so insurers
don't believe in rule of law?"

There's a lot of spectrum and a lot of scope for slide rules up and down
it. I'd certainly be interested to know data on this if you have any, or
should come into possession later ion,