On 8/22/2014 11:48 AM, John Clark wrote:
On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 1:27 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    > The second law is only approximately true for finite systems (in either
time or
    space).  Globally it's a tautology: the arrow-of-physical-time points in the
    direction of increasing entropy, whichever way you chose coordinate time.

It's not a tautology. The second law can explain why tomorrow will almost certainly be more disordered (have a higher entropy) than today, it's just because there are astronomically (too weak a word but the best I could find) more disordered states than ordered ones. However by using the exact same logic and the fact that the state of things today evolved from the state of things yesterday and because there are astronomically more such disordered states than ordered ones we must conclude that things today almost certainly evolved from one of those very numerous disordered states that existed yesterday. So entropy was almost certainly higher yesterday than today. But that's nuts!

But entropy is relative constraints, in this case coarse graining. I you take the equation of physics seriously, they are time-symmetric (assming MWI) and entropy never changes. But at the coarse-grained level of description, where entropy increases, there are fewer past states that could produce the present than there are future states into which the present can evolve.

Everybody thinks that entropy will be higher tomorrow but nobody really thinks it's true that entropy was also higher yesterday, and yet it is undeniable that you can not deduce a asymmetry in time (time's arrow) from thermodynamics or from any of the known laws of physics alone; this dichotomy is sometimes called Loschmidt's Paradox or Loschmidt's Objection. To deduce the arrow of time and get rid of Loschmidt's Paradox the laws of physics are not enough, you must make an additional assumption about initial conditions called "The Past Hypothesis", it's the assumption that the universe started out in a very very low entropy state, as low as you can go. And therefore there was only one direction it could evolve, toward a higher entropy state.

Except that the exact same physics applies to a universe that "collapses" into a very very low entropy states. But if we lived in such a universe, we'd live our lives and form our memories in the direction of expansion and we'd say we live in an expanding universe (as we do) and that's why the 2nd law globally is a tautology.