meekerdb wrote:
On 5/12/2015 8:03 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
meekerdb wrote:
On 5/12/2015 4:26 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
meekerdb wrote:
On 5/11/2015 11:14 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:

[BM] Why? Have you proven that consciousness supervenes on a record?

Have you proven that it does not?

No, but I have a lot of evidence it supervenes on brain /*processes*/. Reducing that to /*states*/ is a further assumption.

That is the pedant's reply. :-)
A process reduces to a sequence of states -- you simply lower the substitution level (step rate) to whatever value is necessary to reproduce the process FAPP.

No, a sequence of states is not the same as a process. In a process the states in the sequence are causally related.

Need I quote Hume at you, Brent? That which we know as causality is nothing more than the constant conjunction of events. You make 'causality' into a sort of dualist magic.

Whatever it is, it's what Bruno introduces to distinguish computation from a playback of computation. I find the idea of states of an extended body like the brain problematic. The speed of light is finite and the speed of neurons is slow; so to model "the state" as you propose means modeling it down microseconds or finer in order to capture the signaling relation between different neurons as their axons transmit pulses across several cm. This is way below anything that might be considered a 'thought' or a 'conscious momement', so the later have spacial extent and temporal overlap. To conceive them as separate discrete states is already to concede that consciousness is in platonia.

I think you are worrying where no worry is justified. The proposal is that we have a full 3-D picture of the brain as it exists at one instant. We take a series of pictures at whatever rate is required to capture all the essential interactions. Given such a set of pictures, we do not ever need to worry about the speed of light, or the speed of signal transmission in axons. Each frame of the film is the whole brain state at an instant.

Bruce