On 23 June 2015 at 16:52, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
>
>> On 23 June 2015 at 14:19, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:
>> meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 6/22/2015 8:11 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
>>
>>>     On 23 June 2015 at 10:05, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net
>>>     <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

>>>         That would help, but there's an implicit assumption that
>>>         asleep=mindless. Anesthetic would make a better example. But
>>>         won't both the original and the copy find himself in a
>>>         disjoint location incompatible with where he was before?
>>>
>>>     The copy will find himself in the bed he fell unconscious in, and
>>>     the original will find himself moved. Both would feel they were a
>>>     continuation of the original, but not knowing about the switch
>>>     they might guess wrong as to which was which.
>>>

>>     In what sense would they be wrong.  They would have different
>>     memories and be different persons.
>>
>> One would be the copy and the other would be the original, but there
>> would be no way to tell which was which without referring to a record of
>> the procedure.
>>

> So why not tell them what was done?
> It seems to me to be a great weakness of the memory-only account that you
> are expecting people to make sensible decisions on the basis of partial
> information. If we allow personal identity to have a bodily, third person,
> element, then these problems do not arise.
>
> If there is a genuine lack of information about what was done, then the
> decisions are arbitrary to a large extent. This is unnecessary in general
> since these obscure scenarios do not happen accidentally -- they are
> brought about by the deliberate actions of some external agent. So ask the
> agent and get the facts. Don't try to solve the problem on the basis of
> partial data.

But the significant part of personal identity is subjective. If you prove
to me that during the night my body was taken apart atom by atom and a very
similar body assembled in its place with new atoms, that does not tell me
that I am deluded about surviving, it tells me that a person can survive
despite such a procedure.

--
Stathis Papaioannou