On Wednesday, June 24, 2015, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 6/22/2015 11:18 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

    On 23 June 2015 at 14:19, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net
    <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','meeke...@verizon.net');>> wrote:

        On 6/22/2015 8:11 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

        On 23 June 2015 at 10:05, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net
        <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','meeke...@verizon.net');>> wrote:

            On 6/22/2015 2:56 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

            On Tuesday, June 23, 2015, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net
            <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','meeke...@verizon.net');>> wrote:

                On 22 June 2015 at 17:33, Bruce Kellett
<bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>
                wrote:

                    Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

                                The "closest continuer" idea is wrong on many
                        counts. Both
                                copies consider themselves to be the original -
both
                        are wrong
                                in your view. But if one copy was 0.1% different
                        from the
                        origina, that copy would not be the continuation of the
                        original, despite thinking that he was, just a bit
taller and a
                                bit happier for the experience. On the other
hand,
                        if one copy
                                was 1% different and the other 0.1% different,
the
                        0.1% copy
                                would be a continuation of the original. And if
the
                        0.1% copy
                                was in a coma when created, the 1% copy would
be the
                        continuer
                                until the 0.1% copy was revived.

                            How are you going to measure these fine
differences? If
                        there is a
                            tie according to any appreciable measurement, then
there
                        are two new
                            persons. Don't forget that the duplication is only
                        accurate at the
                            level of replacement, which is never assumed to be
exact
                        -- we  cannot have exact copies because of the quantum
cloning
                        restrictions. The odd difference in the number of atoms
in
                        your big
                            toe is not a relevant difference.

                        It's easy to measure differences. One of the new JC's is
                        taller and better looking. Naturally, he claims that he
is
                        the true JC, but improved.

                    What he claims is irrelevant. The copies diverge almost
                    instantaneously, so there are essentially always two new
persons
                    in these scenarios. If they are made to be different by the
                    machine, then there is no duplication!

                I diverge from my previous self from moment to moment in
ordinary
                life, but I still consider that I remain me. If I woke up
tomorrow
                taller because I had a growth spurt during the night I would
still
                consider that I was me; yet by the "closest continuer" theory, I
                would stop being me if a copy that hadn't grown was made
somewhere else.

                I think waking up somewhere else would count strongly against
being
                the closest continuation.

            What if, while both are asleep, the original is moved to another
location
            and the copy moved to the original's bed?

            That would help, but there's an implicit assumption that
asleep=mindless.
            Anesthetic would make a better example. But won't both the original
and
            the copy find himself in a disjoint location incompatible with
where he
            was before?

        The copy will find himself in the bed he fell unconscious in, and the
original
        will find himself moved. Both would feel they were a continuation of the
        original, but not knowing about the switch they might guess wrong as to
which
        was which.

        In what sense would they be wrong.  They would have different memories
and be
        different persons.

    One would be the copy and the other would be the original, but there would
be no
    way to tell which was which without referring to a record of the procedure.

    ISTM there's an equivocation here between a continuation in consciousness
and
    continuation in body.  If we say "the person" is just a continuum of
conscious
    thoughts, then they are both continuations of the original.  If we take
into account
    the physical instantiation then we can say which is the original (assuming
he's not
    destroyed and reconstructed in the duplication process) even though they
are both
    continuations, by different means, of the original.

Surely continuation in consciousness is what we mean when discussing personal identity. The atoms making up my body last year have mostly dispersed in the biosphere, but I don't consider that a great loss.

That's a logic chopping answer. Sure the atoms have dispersed, but the physical structural relations have persisted and these are not the same as conscious thoughts.