On 4 April 2018 at 10:21, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2018 at 08:25:59AM +0200, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>> Hi Russell,
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 10:30 AM, Russell Standish
>> <li...@hpcoders.com.au> wrote:

>> > As I'm sure you're aware, I disagree with this. Jellyfish appear to be
>> > quite simple automatons, with a distributed neural network, not any
>> > brain as such. However, my main reason for disagreeing is that
>> > anthropic reasoning leads us to conclude that most species of animal
>> > are not conscious. Our most typical animal is a nematode (for instance
>> > your favourite - the planarians), but even most insects cannot be
>> > conscious either.
>>
>> I follow your anthropic reasoning, but am not convinced by the
>> implicit 1:1 correspondence between one minute of human consciousness
>> and one human of insect consciousness. I have no rigorous way of
>> saying this, but my intuition is the following: there is more content
>> in one minute of one than the other. I think it makes sense for the
>> probabilities to be weighted by this content, somehow.
>>
>> Imagine a simple possibility: your anthropic reasoning being weighed
>> by the number of neurons in the given creature. See what I'm getting
>> at?
>>

> My argument is simply that your first observer moment (ie "birth
> moment", although not literally at birth) is selected at random from
> all such possible moments. Thereafter, successor OMs are chosen
> acording to Born's rule. Ant birth OMs are vastly more numerous than
> human ones. A city of perhaps a million individuals lives under our
> house, and ants are born, live an die far more rapidly than we
> humans.

Ok, I see. I don't buy that first OMs have some special status. In my
view it makes sense to sample each OM from all possible OMs in the
universe. I think I am a block universe kind of person, and I think
that the feeling of continuity that we have in our lives is illusory,
in a sense. It's just that my current OM is a complexification of
other OMs, and that is what memory is. I am OM-centric, not
me-centric.

> To argue that OMs might be weighted somehow is quite close to the
> ASSA, which I've never found convincing, though some argue for it here
> on this list. Why should first observer moments be weighted by neuron number?

What is the ASSA?