On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 7:38:26 PM UTC, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> [...]
> and science. The second is a "turtles all the way down," where an argument
> is based on premises that have deeper reasons, and this nests endlessly.
> Vic Stenger found this to be of most interest with his "models all the way
> down." The third is a circular argument which would mean all truth is just
> tautology. The second and third turn out to have some relevancy, where
> these are complement in Godel's theorem. While in general we use the first
> in science and mathematics we generally can't completely eliminate the
> other two. However, for most work we have an FAPP limitation to how far we
> want to go. Because of that if there is ultimately just a quantum vacuum,
> or some set of vacua, that is eternal, we may then just rest our case there.
>

> Yu risk to eliminate consciousness, and the machine’s explanation of
> consciousness.
>
> Assuming mechanism, we know exactly why we have too assume a universal
> machinery, and nothing more. Then we can use the whole of mathematics to
> derive the phenomenology, including matter, and compare with what we
> observe.
>

> If one wants to do philosophy or theology that may be fine, but one has to
> make sure not to confuse these as categories with the category of science.
>

> No. That is the habit since theology has been stealer from science by the
> con-man.
>
> Maybe you know a theology which does not need science, that which does not
> need modesty, caution, critically open, etc.
>
> The problem when you forget hat theology is a science, is that you take
> the risk of imposing some theology or metaphysical axiom, like if today’s
> science did solved the Plato/Aristotle extreme disjunct.
>

> Maybe as Dennett says, philosophy is what we do when we do not understand
> how to ask the question right.
>

> That is science. Bad philosophy and bad science is when we assert a
> problem is solved, when it is not.
>

> In that setting at best we can only do sort of "pre-science," but not
> really science as such. Theology is an even looser area of thought, and I
> generally see no connection with science at all.
>

> Theology is just Metaphysics with the understanding that we must do a bet
> of some sort, be it on some physical thing, (a material universe), or a
> metaphysical things (the Tao?), or a mathematical, or musical, whatever
> things.
>
> If you study the history of occidental science, theology is the science
> which brings mathematics and physics, and mathematics was a source of
> inspiration for many non physical realities to be conceived. Most of them
> being often mathematical in nature.
> If you study theology from Pythagorus to damascius, you will understand
> that it is science, even if one using a non communicable data (a first
> person experience).
> Then theology is responsible for the birth of mathematical logic too, much

*This may be a simplistic pov, but since there was IMO no Original Sin,
there was no need for a Sacrifice for its forgiveness. Under this view,
Christianity is overwhelmingly an illusion. And since Theology seems to be
primarily an extended argument about the historical history and truths
about Christianity, it too is essentially worthless; an extended wrangling
over nothing. AG *