On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 4:50 AM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> The Schrodinger equation describes the quantum wave function using
>> complex numbers, and that is not observable so it's subjective in the same
>> way that lines of latitude and longitude are. However the square of the
>> absolute value of the wave function is observable because that produces a
>> probability that we can measure in the physical world that is objective,
>> provided  anything deserves that word; but it also yields something that is
>> not deterministic.
>>

> > *It is still deterministic. *

That depends on what "it" refers to. The quantum wave function is
deterministic but the physical system associated with it is not.

> *If you say otherwise you are introducing "collapse", *

Well you sure as hell are going to have to introduce something because
after a observation is made there is no  longer a probability as  there is
always a 100% chance you saw what you just saw. If I won the lottery
yesterday then the day before yesterday there was one chance in ten million
I would win but today there is 1 chance in 1 that I did win.

> *and saying the other unobserved outcomes have stopped existing*

I'm saying unperformed experiments have no results.

> > *Schrodinger's equation does not say this is what happened, it just
> says that you have ended up with a system with many sets of observers, each
> of which observed different outcomes.*

That's what Many World's claims it means but that claim is controversial,
but what is not controversial is the wave function the Schrodinger equation
describes mathematically.  Consider the wave functions of these 2 systems:

1) An  electron of velocity V starts at X  and after one second it is
observed at point Y and then goes on for  another second.

2) An electron of the same velocity V starts at the same point X and then
goes on for 2 seconds.

The wave functions of these 2 systems are NOT the same and after you've
taken the square of the absolute value of both you will find radically
different probabilities about where you're likely to find the electron
after 2 seconds. And as I said this is not controversial, people disagree
over quantum interpretations but nobody disagrees over the mathematics, and
the mathematical objects that the Schrodinger equation describes in those
two systems are NOT the same.

John K Clark