> On 30 Dec 2018, at 19:02, Philip Thrift <cloudver...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 7:35:26 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
>> On 30 Dec 2018, at 08:33, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
>> wrote:
>>
>> There is no "even" or "odd" prior to the existence of matter.
>
> With some act of faith in some notion of matter. No problem with this, unless
> this is used in conjunction with Mechanism.
>
> But there is a problem with this view in the foundations of physics, as
> physicist presuppose numbers in their theories. That works FAPP, but is a
> problem, even without mechanism, in the materialistic ontologies.
>
> Bruno
>

> By "matter" I just mean all "the stuff" there is.

That leaves unclear if that “stuff which is” is primary or not. Up to now,
matter is a prediction of Mechanism, but not as stuff, more as element of
(sharable) long dreams (computation seen from “inside” (to be short).

> "Numbers" are merely (human-made) language entities used in communicating
> (human-made) theories about "the stuff”.

I doubt less 2+2=4 than the existence of the humans. I need to assume 2+2=4 to
understand any experiment and theory in physics. With mechanism, we explain
human from relations on which everybody (enough serious) agree on. If numbers
were creation by human, why does that creation hits back so strongly?
Personally, I tend to believe that elementary arithmetical statement, provable
or not, are true independently of us. Matter, human’s psychology, etc… needs a
simpler explanation than simply assuming them.

All what Mechanism needs to assume is one (any one) universal machine or
machinery.

Bruno