> On 24 Jan 2019, at 19:57, Lawrence Crowell <goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 8:59:42 AM UTC-6, Philip Thrift wrote:
>

> On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 5:54:46 AM UTC-6, Lawrence Crowell wrote:
>

> My point is that in physics what might be called a halting condition is an
> attractor point or limit cycle. Equilibrium is the terminal point in the
> evolution of some system, say thinking according to Landauer's original paper
> on thermodynamics and information. The quantum field theory of black holes
> has no equilibrium condition. Now if the black hole runs away with Hawking
> radiation it will “explode” in a burst of gamma rays and other quanta. A
> Turing machine that does not halt can also be said to burn itself out, and if
> anyone has programmed assembler there were loops you could put a machine into
> that might do damage.
>
> Sorry for being slow on this. I forgot to get flu shots this year and I have
> been hit with a real doozy of a flu. Since Sunday night until yesterday I was
> horribly ill, and only now am beginning to feel normal. Get the shots, you
> really do not want this flu!
>
> LC
>
> I used to think that there could be true hypercomputation (what is called
> super-Turing machines) in nature, but now I think that there is no such thing
> (but anything remains possible, of course).
>
> But the idea of substrate-independent Turing machines is incomplete.
>
> I shouldn't say (if will jinx me!) but I've never gotten a flu shot and I
> haven't gotten the flu in over 40 years.
>
> But I hope the flu program doesn't start running in / affect my substrate!
>
> - pt
>
> I hate to pop your bubble here, but a few years ago at a New Year's party a
> person who had cancer go into remission made this statement that she never
> got colds or flus. A doctor I know was there and responded with how not
> getting these sicknesses is a risk factor for cancer! The woman died a last
> summer with the return of her non-Hodgkins lymphoma.
>
> Hyper-Turing computations or results are not accessible to local observers.

That is not obvious. Have you understand the first person indeterminacy (step 3
in the sane04 paper). This imposes a sort of random oracle to the first person
associated with the infinitely many computations going through their actual
state. It is hard in that case to prove that non computable processes are not
available, even to local observer. But I agree that except for the quantum
randomness there are not much evidence for more on this.

Bruno