On Saturday, January 26, 2019 at 5:01:02 PM UTC-6, Philip Thrift wrote:

> On Saturday, January 26, 2019 at 4:54:58 PM UTC-6, Philip Thrift wrote:

>>> LQG of course breaks Lorentz symmetry near the Planck scale. The finite
>>> elements have reduced diffeomorphic symmetry, and which buries away any
>>> such problems. The numerical simulations you reference are a typical case
>>> of computer science, input variables in, output variable result. LQG has a
>>> hard renormalization UV cutoff that breaks the symmetry of the field.
>>>
>>> LC
>>>

>> In LQG, or quantum space models in general, the *Lorenz group* [
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_group ] would be replaced by a
>> different mathematics.
>>
>> *All of the mathematics of conventional physics has to be "quantized" all
>> the way down.*
>>
>> - pt
>>

> It's a subject worth exploring of course:
>
> https://arxiv.org/abs/1708.00924
>

> Discrete Lorentz symmetry and discrete time translational symmetry
> Pei Wang
> <https://arxiv.org/search/cond-mat?searchtype=author&query=Wang%2C+P>
> (Submitted on 1 Aug 2017 (v1 <https://arxiv.org/abs/1708.00924v1>), last
> revised 19 Feb 2018 (this version, v2))
>
> The Lorentz symmetry and the space and time translational symmetry are
> fundamental symmetries of nature. Crystals are the manifestation of the
> continuous space translational symmetry being spontaneously broken into a
> discrete one. We argue that, following the space translational symmetry,
> the continuous Lorentz symmetry should also be broken into a discrete one,
> which further implies that the continuous time translational symmetry is
> broken into a discrete one. We deduce all the possible discrete Lorentz and
> discrete time translational symmetries in 1+1-dimensional spacetime, and
> show how to build a field theory or a lattice field theory that has these
> symmetries.
>

> - pt

The spinorial  Lorentz group for (½, 0)⊕(0, ½)  is SL(2, C). This being
SL(2,  C) =SL(2,  R)×SL(2,  R) there is a modular subgroup to SL(2, R) of
linear fractional transformations SL(2, Z) ⊂  SL(2, R). This defines a set
of equivalent orbits or paths. This is a discrete Lorentz symmetry for
gauge or coordinate condition equivalent moduli.

It is not commonly thought this is what spacetime is near the Planck scale,
I suppose unless you are an LQG maven. It is connected with orbits on
strings, with Teichmuller spaces of 6g - 6 dimensions and so forth.

LC