1) You raise an interesting point. Can you give another example in that
direction beside the qualia of good and bad ? Because you made me think
about the case that you mentioned, and it seems to me that it only works
for cases of good and bad. A similar example to yours would be: blue and
green emerge on top of shades-of-gray, but I like blue and I don't like
green, so where does the good and bad appear in my final experience of a
quale ? So it might be the case that aesthetic components might be
something special. That's why I would like to hear if you can come up with
a similar example besides aesthetic components, to pinpoint more precisely
where there might be a problem with my ideas about emergence.

2) This is interesting again. And I thought about it before writing my
paper about emergence. And indeed I think that your proposal that it might
just be something related to brain functioning cannot be discarded. The
reason why I prefer to see it as something related directly to
consciousness is simply because it can give me the possibility to further
pursue the issue. If it is something related to brain, then it might be
contingent, and I cannot see how the phenomenon can be understood any
further. If it is something related to consciousness, then it is
interesting because then it is related to fundamental problems regarding
the nature of meaning and how meaning is generated, so deep thinking in
these directions can further help us understand consciousness.

3) There is no ontological/epistemological confusion here. I state that
even if you are to take into account the entire history that you mention,
the electron would still not follow the same laws as in simple systems,
because in the brain it will receive top-down influence from a higher
consciousness. And the more complex the system, the more the consciousness
is evolved and its intentions are beyond comprehension, so the ability to
describe the movement of electrons using coherent laws vanishes. The
electron will simply appear to not follow any law, because the intentions
of consciousness would be more and more complex and diverse.

Btw, you can find my ideas also published for free in papers:
https://philpeople.org/profiles/cosmin-visan So if you want to get more
details about my ideas regarding emergence and self-reference, you can as
well read the papers.

On Friday, 19 April 2019 15:09:54 UTC+3, telmo wrote:

> 1)
>
> There is something here that still does not convince me. For example, you
> say that the "chocolate taste" qualia emerges from simpler qualia, such as
> "sweet". Can you really justify this hierarchical relation without
> implicitly alluding to the quanti side? Consider the qualias of eating a
> piece of chocolate, a spoonful of sugar and french fries. You can feel that
> the first two have something in common that distinguishes them from the
> third, and you can give it the label "sweet". At the same time, you could
> say that the chocolate and french fries are pleasant to eat, while the
> spoonful of sugar not so much. You can also label this abstraction with
> some word. Without empirical grounding, nothing makes one distinction more
> meaningful than another.
>
> What makes the "sweat" abstraction so special? Well, it's that we know
> about sweet receptors in the tongue and we know it's one of the four(five?)
> basic flavors because of that. I'm afraid you smuggle this knowledge into
> the pure qualia world. Without it, there is no preferable hierarchical
> relation and emergence becomes nonsensical again. There's just a field of
> qualia.

2)

I was referring to your observation that things lose meaning by repetition,
> like staring at yourself in the mirror for a long time. I to find this
> interesting, but I can imagine prosaic explanations. For example, that our
> brain requires a certain amount of variety in its inputs, otherwise it
> tends to a simpler state were apprehension of meaning is no longer
> possible. In other words, I am proposing a plumber-style explanation, and
> asking you why/if you think it can be discarded?
>

> 3) The difference is that in an emergent system you have top-down
> influence in levels. Electrons in simple systems like the ones in physical
> experiments have little input from any top level, so they behaving
> according to their own level and display certain laws. But when they are
> part of a greater holistic system, like in the brain (which is just an
> appearance of internal workings in consciousness) they receive top-down
> influence from the intentions in consciousness, and so they behave
> according to the will of consciousness. Is the same phenomenon when we
> speak, that I also gave in my presentation. When we speak, we act from the
> level of intending to transmit certain ideas. And this level exercises
> top-down influence in levels and the sentences, words and letters are
> coming out in accordance with the intention from the higher level.
>
> 3)

Here I think you are making the ontological/epistemological confusion.