On Friday, April 26, 2019 at 9:04:46 AM UTC-5, Jason wrote:

> On Friday, April 26, 2019, <cloud...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>

>> On Thursday, April 25, 2019 at 7:29:08 PM UTC-5, Jason wrote:

>>> Nice quote. A bit reminiscent of Descartes and Leibniz's thinking in
>>> relation to dualism and how souls were to interact with physical bodies.
>>>
>>> Descartes understood a basic form of conservation of energy, and thought
>>> it was possible for a soul to change the direction (if not the speed) of
>>> particles.  After Newton formalized conservation of momentum, Leibniz
>>> understood that changing the direction of particles in motion was also
>>> impossible, which led to his postulation of a "pre-established harmony".

>>> In panpsychism isn't everything consider to be conscious?  I think this
>>> is a bit different from what Turing suggested, in that Turing believed the
>>> body had to be in a functioning state to "attract" or "hold" a soul.
>>>
>>> Jason
>>>

>> Pansychism (a better term would be experiential materialism) is the view
>> that all is matter, but matter has psychical or experiential properties (in
>> addition to physical ones - the ones conventional physicists talk about).
>> The degrees of experientialities in levels of complexity of matter (and a
>> brain would be considered to be a piece of complex matter), how such things
>> are combined (from molecules to cells to multicellular configurations), are
>> the issues.
>>

> What would a panpsychist predict for a universe where matter lacked such
> properties?
>
> A world devoid of intelligent life.
>
> A world full of intelligent (but not consciousness) philosophical zombies.
>
> Something else.
>

>> Physicalism is normally assumed to be incompatible with panpsychism.
>> Materialism (distinct from physicalism) is compatible with panpsychism
>> insofar as experiential (or psychical) properties are attributed to matter,
>> which is the only basic substance.
>>
>> via https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panpsychism#Physicalism_and_materialism
>>
>> So there are brains and all the other other stuff, its just that there is
>> more to matter than what meets the (conventional physicist's) eye.
>>
>> -
>> @philipthrift <https://twitter.com/philipthrift>
>>

> Thanks for the reference. It was an interesting read.
>
> Jason

*What would a panpsychist predict for a universe where matter lacked such
properties?*

 Possibly: The evolution of philosophical zombies.
[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie ]

Material beings that are (even super) intelligent - like that new guy on
Jeopardy! :)  or the outcome of *Invasion of the Body Snatchers *- but do
not possess consciousness.

It is a matter of debate whether beings with
intelligence-sans-consciousness could be really creative. Perhaps
consciousness - *experientiality *- is a critical requirement for both
creativity and real intelligence.

- @philipthrift <https://twitter.com/philipthrift>