On 11/5/2018 8:54 AM, Philip Thrift wrote:

On Monday, November 5, 2018 at 6:56:42 AM UTC-6, John Clark wrote:

    On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 3:40 AM Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com
    <javascript:>> wrote:

        > I agree with those scientists who that say something isn't
        truly intelligent unless it is also conscious.

    Then you have no way of knowing if any of your fellow human beings
    are "truly intelligent" because you have no way of knowing if they
    are conscious or not. And if you were outsmarted by something that
    was *NOT* "truly intelligent" should you feel better or worse that
    if you were outsmarted by something that was *WAS* "truly
    intelligent"?

        /> For something to be fully conscious, or self aware, it
        would want to "live". It would not want to be "shut down".When
        Watson starts screaming, "Don't turn me off!", then it might
        be conscious./

    Unlike winning at Jeopardy that would be trivially easy to program.

    John K Clark

I think I would feel better being outsmarted by an unconscious robot than a conscious robot.

Because you know the conscious robot would have an internal model of the world in which it knew it had outsmarted you and from which it would learn and plan future actions...like selling you a time share.  Which I think gives some insight into what constitutes consciousness and why it is inherent in high-level intelligence.