On 11/5/2018 1:34 PM, Philip Thrift wrote:

On Monday, November 5, 2018 at 2:45:30 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:

    On 11/5/2018 8:54 AM, Philip Thrift wrote:

    On Monday, November 5, 2018 at 6:56:42 AM UTC-6, John Clark wrote:

        On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 3:40 AM Philip Thrift
        <cloud...@gmail.com> wrote:

            > I agree with those scientists who that say something
            isn't truly intelligent unless it is also conscious.

        Then you have no way of knowing if any of your fellow human
        beings are "truly intelligent" because you have no way of
        knowing if they are conscious or not. And if you were
        outsmarted by something that was *NOT* "truly intelligent"
        should you feel better or worse that if you were outsmarted
        by something that was *WAS* "truly intelligent"?

            /> For something to be fully conscious, or self aware, it
            would want to "live". It would not want to be "shut
            down".When Watson starts screaming, "Don't turn me off!",
            then it might be conscious./

        Unlike winning at Jeopardy that would be trivially easy to
        program.

        John K Clark

    I think I would feel better being outsmarted by an unconscious
    robot than a conscious robot.

    Because you know the conscious robot would have an internal model
    of the world in which it knew it had outsmarted you and from which
    it would learn and plan future actions...like selling you a time
    share.  Which I think gives some insight into what constitutes
    consciousness and why it is inherent in high-level intelligence.

    Brent

Actually I was thinking the conscious robot would /experience/ a satisfaction that the sans-consciousness robot could not.

But is satisfaction so specific.  If it's just property of some bio-matter, then you could simply append a bio-component to your electronic computer to proved the experience.