> On 8 May 2019, at 17:44, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 7:57 AM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be
> <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:
>
>> On 26 Apr 2019, at 02:50, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:jasonre...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 9:57 AM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be
>> <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:
>>
>>> On 23 Apr 2019, at 03:32, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:jasonre...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>

>>> On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 7:51 PM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
>>> <everything-list@googlegroups.com
>>> <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>> wrote:

>>> It seems otiose to postulate a separate spirit.  A pitiful attempt to grasp
>>> immortality.  Isn't it plain that what is "immaterial" and distinguishes a
>>> brain of a rock is that the brain instantiates processes which incorporate
>>> memory, purpose, perception, and action.
>>>

>>> Is it otiose to make a distinction between a "story" and a "book”,
>>
>> ?
>>
>> You might be too quick here. A book can instantiate a description of a
>> story, but a story is a sequence of events (be them relative computation in
>> arithmetic, or in some “universe”).
>>

>> You might be misinterpreting my point. I was attempting to show that there
>> is an important distinction between "mind" and "brain", (as there is between
>> "story" and "book", and "program" and "computer”).
>

> I was a bit splitting the air, with respect to what you were trying to
> convey. Sorry.
>
> No worries, greater clarification is always appreciated.

I appreciate.

> BTW, I forget to mention that Post Anticipation has really anticipated the
> whole things, from Gödel up to immaterialism. In fact Post is the real first
> person to discover both the Church-Turing thesis, the incompleteness implied
> by it (something almost forgot since Gödel!, but clearly re-explained by
> Kleene and Webb later).
>
> Emil Post was very sick all its life, and has been a math teacher in High
> school almost all his life, but eventually, thanks to his paper of 1944
> (which led to Recursion theory) he will be recognised, and get a position in
> a university, for a short time before death.
>
> I think that Emil Post was the deepest thinker here.
>

> Interesting I didn't know anything about Post's life or contributions before.
> I will look more into this.

He found everything, just a bit too much early for his time. He found Gödel’s
theorem, even the “simple” proof from “Church’s thesis”. He found the argument
of Lucas-Penrose using “Gödel” against Mechanism. He found the deep error that
such argument illustrates, he get the understanding that materialism is at
stake, and the difficulties, etc.

He is at the origin of "Recursion Theory” (theoretical computer science, a
branch of mathematical logic). That is not in his anticipation, but in his
paper, which is also in Davis Anthology:

POST E., 1944 , Recursively Enumerable Sets of Positive Integers and their
Decision Problems, Bull. Am. Math. Soc. 50, pp. 284-316. also in Davis 1965,
pp. 304-337.

>> In all cases, the brain, book, computer, are physical, and can have specific
>> physical incarnations.  However, despite differing physically, they can be
>> used to implement the same (potentially identical) abstract patterns (minds,
>> stories, programs).
>>
>> Because the latter category refers to abstract, informational, duplicable,
>> patterns, they are in a sense immaterial. Many attributes you might
>> attribute to a "soul" you could apply to these abstract informational
>> patterns, such as:
>>
>> No physical location
>> No mass or energy
>> Indestructible (at least always recoverable, in theory - ability to
>> resurrect)
>> Ability to cross between different physical embodiments (ability to
>> reincarnate)
>> Ability to exist in different physical universes/realms/planes (ability to
>> transmigrate)
>
> OK.
>
> It is just that this is verified by “mind”, but “mind” and informational
> pattern, or number are immaterial, but still admit third person description.
> The soul, or consciousness , or first person, is not only immaterial, but is
> not identifiable to anything having a third person description. The soul like
> god has no “name” (that is no third person description at all). Yet, with
> mechanism, it admits meta-description, quasi-axiomatic definition, and then
> it can be proved it has no third person description, a bit like the notion of
> truth in Tarski theory of truth (which I am using all the time, explicitly or
> implicitly).
>
> Would a single observer-moment/experience admit a third-person description?
> Is it only the time-evolution of experience that is not definable?

The expression “observer-moment” is ambiguous. It is often used in a first
person sense, then confused with third person sense.

In the third person sense, it is equivalent with the notion of instantaneous
state description. It is the state of a computer, at some moment of its
computation/running.

A first person observer moment is just a conscious state, lived as
here-and-now, like when you open the box in Washington, and get the experience
“I am in Washington”. That cannot be formalised or predict in any way, but is
still amenable to a metamathematical treatments when we assume mechanism.

The []p & p definition, makes the first person notion non formalisable. We can
come back on this (it is not easy to understand, nor to explain).

To be sure, to get the immediacy of the observer-moment, []p & <>t & p is
better (this suppress the transitivity). []p & p is the logic of knowledgeable.
[]p & <>t & p is closer to the logic of known-here-and-now.

Bruno

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/1AED8965-51F5-4665-B46E-A87B300CBB93%40ulb.ac.be.