On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 10:28:39AM +0200, Bruno Marchal wrote:

>     On 20 Aug 2019, at 19:38, Philip Thrift <cloudver...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>     The reason to suspect that arithmetic comes from matter (M→A) vs. matter
>     comes from arithmetic (A→M) is that with A→M there many Ms.
>

> On the contrary: Arithmetic (A) explains why there is many geographies and
> history, but only one physics, the same fr all universal machine. That is due
> to the fact that Physics (Matter, M) emerges from the first person
> indeterminacy on *all* computations.
> So A explains why there is only one M possible, and why the physical reality
> is
> the same for all universal machine/number.
> With A, the physical laws are justified being laws, and we get some criteria
> (lacking in physics+physicalism) to distinguish physics and geography.

This answer is a bit glib IMHO. In some ways it echos the statements I
give in section 9.3 of my book "Theory of Nothing", but which I freely
admitted I felt were provisional and too hand-wavy. However, I believe
that Markus Mueller has since provided an answer in the form of a
theorem (Thm 2.3 "Emergence of an Objective Reality") in his paper
arXiv: 1712.01816.

That paper to me is probably the most significant result in this area
since I published my book.

Cheers