On Thursday, February 20, 2020 at 1:55:39 PM UTC+1, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 20 Feb 2020, at 01:20, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <
> everyth...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>

> On 2/19/2020 12:15 PM, Philip Thrift wrote:
>

> Wittgenstein is at the core really of *linguistic pragmatism *
>
>     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neopragmatism
>
> Languages are tools. There is no truth "out there".
>

> My view is that "true" means different things in different contexts.
>

> And in different modes (of self-reference). The platonists dis understand
> that the absolute truth requires faith in something beyond “my
> consciousness” or “consciousness” (to take into account Terren Suydam’
> remark).

Wittgestein up to now still has the upper hand with those old arguments
over anybody proposing science based ontological packages metaphysically:
language will seduce people to overgeneralize, to confuse personal
mysticism with reality, to engage in false equivalencies between terms used
in formal contexts and everyday use of language, scientism etc. Slowly,
yours truly is coming around to the idea that folks agreeing on
ontology/reality/religion, which would guide research in some allegedly
correct direction; spilling over positive effects into the world... that
Wittgenstein may prove correct in that this is a confused product of
muddled armchair thinking, not because of his generally negative stance,
but because there seem to be positive developments out there that he
couldn't have informed those arguments with.

I see/predict metaphysics shifting from the naive armchair forms of
identity, reality, matter etc. practiced here on this list with profound
erudition, walking in circles for 20 years now (Wittgenstein says thousands
of years) to optimization and more efficient pursuit of value and benefit
questions instead, through say orchestration of highly sophisticated forms
of organization applied to education, governing, finance, technology,
problem solving, applied or theoretical etc. that are permissionless,
universally accessible, require no hierarchy of politics, charlatan
experts, control freaks, their sycophants, and bibles of some Messiah
achieving miracles such as eternal life, self-duplication etc.

Metaphysical setups that place less emphasis on truth, trust, power,
control, or proof and more emphasis on "can entities such as ourselves be
highly organized, solve specific survival problems over short and long
terms, without trusting each other + instead assuming that folks will be
opportunistic and idealistic?" Example: we don't agree on what reality may
be, but we do agree on the need for habitable living space in the long
term, nutrition, water, health, limiting self-destruction, expensive wars,
standards of living etc. quite clearly. There ARE more appropriate politics
and economics on the horizon. Metaphysics here, shifting our old-school
conceptions of what first principles are, and you'd refute Wittgenstein
instead of running from him. Engineering incentive and not what the game is
but *how* the game of life on this planet could be.

> About this, it is clear to me that in “I think thus I am”, Descartes use
> the “first person” I. Indeed he start from the doubt. Dubito ergo cogito,
> cogito ergo sum. Descartes did not prove the existence of Descartes, bit of
> his own consciousness, hoping others can do the same reasoning for
> themselves. Consciousness always refer to a first person experience
> implicitly: like God (truth) it is not a thing.

You concede to Terren that "true means different things in different
contexts" but everyday like clockwork you still barrage the list with your
use of "large truth, 3p, reality that cannot be named, mechanism is
incompatible with physicalism" and all the rest of it. I used to wonder why
you don't pursue contact with linguists, physicists, a wider audience, and
philosophers but this has ceased to surprise me. PGC