On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 7:47 AM spudboy100 via Everything List <
everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

* > 3 and 4 are clever Language Machines.*

You can input nothing but a photograph into a modern "Language Machine" (by
"modern" I mean something that has been developed in the last couple of
months) and ask it what is in the photograph and it will be able to tell
you, or ask it what will likely happen next to the object in the photo and
it will give you a good answer. It can read and understand graphs and
charts and if you show it a drawing from a high school geometry textbook
full of intersecting lines circles squares and triangles and ask it to find
the area of the second largest triangle in the upper left quadrant it will
be able to do so. And if you ask what's humorous about the photograph it
will be able to explain the joke to you. And it works the other way too, if
you ask it to paint a picture of something, even something that doesn't
exist, it will be able to provide an original painting of it that's far
better than anything I could dream of painting.  How on earth can something
that is just a "Language Machine" do amy of that?

*> To the claim that via magic, a consciousness arises in silicon or
> gallium arsenide seems a tall order.*

It's no more magical than the claim that consciousness arises from 3 pounds
of gray goo made of carbon hydrogen and oxygen. Are you claiming that
carbon hydrogen and oxygen are sacred but silicon gallium and arsenic are
not? And besides, to hell with consciousness! If computers are not
conscious then that's their problem not mine; it won't affect me one way or
the other if computers are conscious or not, and I could say the same thing
about your alleged consciousness.  I'm far FAR more interested in if
computers are intelligent or not because that most certainly does affect
me.

*> The question offered up 6 weeks ago was how does the similarity to
> animal brains arise from a Server Farm? *

Because both animal brains and server farms process information
intelligently.

pii