From: John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Cc: te...@telmomenezes.net <te...@telmomenezes.net>
Sent: Wed, Mar 15, 2023 11:01 am
Subject: Re: The connectome and uploading

On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 7:47 AM spudboy100 via Everything List
<everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

 > 3 and 4 are clever Language Machines.

You can input nothing but a photograph into a modern "Language Machine" (by
"modern" I mean something that has been developed in the last couple of months)
and ask it what is in the photograph and it will be able to tell you, or ask it
what will likely happen next to the object in the photo and it will give you a
good answer. It can read and understand graphs and charts and if you show it a
drawing from a high school geometry textbook full of intersecting lines circles
squares and triangles and ask it to find the area of the second largest
triangle in the upper left quadrant it will be able to do so. And if you ask
what's humorous about the photograph it will be able to explain the joke to
you. And it works the other way too, if you ask it to paint a picture of
something, even something that doesn't exist, it will be able to provide an
original painting of it that's far better than anything I could dream of
painting.  How on earth can something that is just a "Language Machine" do amy
of that?

> To the claim that via magic, a consciousness arises in silicon or gallium
> arsenide seems a tall order.

It's no more magical than the claim that consciousness arises from 3 pounds of
gray goo made of carbon hydrogen and oxygen. Are you claiming that carbon
hydrogen and oxygen are sacred but silicon gallium and arsenic are not? And
besides, to hell with consciousness! If computers are not conscious then that's
their problem not mine; it won't affect me one way or the other if computers
are conscious or not, and I could say the same thing about your alleged
consciousness.  I'm far FAR more interested in if computers are intelligent or
not because that most certainly does affect me.

> The question offered up 6 weeks ago was how does the similarity to animal
> brains arise from a Server Farm?

Because both animal brains and server farms process information intelligently.
pii

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv2esT1gmprF-twkFyvdXESoi1asEk6L6mi5Dxmm9_7sGw%40mail.gmail.com.