Two stories:

At an airport, they pulled me aside.  Don't know why.

They search everything, feeling linings for lumps, checking my body
for metal, patting me down, and then targeting my brief case and
wiping it with a special cloth that would show if I had even a hint of
"banned chemicals to make on-board explosives with." The cloths showed
positively that my brief case had something "wrongobongo."

So they called in their superior, cuz, well, I'm a very nice guy with
gray hair with a woman whose luggage showed no signs of residues and
I'm laughing aloud cuz I know I'm clean as clean can be.  So, you
know, I'm not fitting the terrorist profile.

They're wiping repeatedly.  Maybe 10 wiping-events, and the
machine-reader called each one of them positive for banned
something-or-other.

Finally the supervisor makes a call, and whomever he talks to doesn't
know what to do either.  Finally, they just "call it," and tell me I'm
okay to fly.  "Sometimes a deodorant or shaving cream will have an
ingredient that triggers these machines," he said.

But everyone knew, it was their intuition overriding their testing
devices.  If I had had a beard or accent or turban, I'd probably still
be being strip searched.

See?

You don't? Okay, next story:

I get audited by the IRS, and they pull me into their office and go
over my receipts -- one by one by one.  I'm living in the upper
bedroom of the center and using the rest of the house "for business,"
but the tax guy says that if the center isn't open 24/7 then the house
is for my personal use only during non-business hours and my
deductions should be discounted downwards.

I tell them, well, if that's the case, then this and that and this and
that will have to be re-figured to make all the math come out correctly.

The tax guy says, "Well, how about you just pay $300 more in
taxes....deal?"

See?

Laws, schmaws, authorities are human and make up their own minds right
there on the spot.  Some days, ya just gotta love the lowest rung on
bureacracy's ladder; some other days, not so much, eh?

The laws are about spiritual intent -- not the letter of the law, but
almost any intent can be projected into almost any law, and beware the
minions who are dealing out the taro cards when they decide your fate.

"Hey, Boss, pick a card so I can process this passenger."

"Oops, sorry, Buddy, but the only kind of boarding you're going to get
is waterboarding."

Edg

> I think he is asking if you have American citizenship which in that
case
> it would be very outrageous to deny you entry back into the country.
> But even detaining a foreigner for 5 hours is rather outrageous.  But
> then the Homeland Security people I've seen probably couldn't even
get a
> job flipping burgers otherwise.
>
> Angela Mailander wrote:
> > what does my nationality or citizenship have to do with the price
of tea in China?  Just curious. a