> On Jun 10, 2006, at 10:30 PM, sparaig wrote:

[...]
> > Wilber seems to like Skip's work, BTW.
>
> Actually him and Skip were in intimate communication up to his
> untimely death.
>
> His work "The Eye of Spirit : An Integral Vision for a World Gone
> Slightly Mad" (Wilber talks of different "eyes": the eye of flesh,
> the eye of contemplation (our meditational "eye") and the eye of
> spirit, the "eye" of pervasive unity) has sections which talk of
> Skip's work. Interestingly KW also shares my own opinion that GC in
> Skip's/MMY's model of "higher states of consciousness" is not truly a
> "state", but a "stage". In fact, in the source texts that the "7
> states of consciosness" derive from, it is not seen as a sequence...

I don't think MMY ever presented it as a strict sequence, either. Its more like
one can't
have an episode of GC without some element of CC present. Likewise with UC
depending
on the presence of GC amd therefore on CC as well.

It's not as obvious with GC/UC but it seems impossible that one could have an
experience
of seeing the Self in perceptual reality without being aware of the Self
internally as well.

Seeing the outside as the inside without seeing the inside seems, well, silly.

> In more recent comment, Ken is back-pedaling on his opinion of TM
> research.

Probably because it is so at odds with the research coming out on Buddhist
meditation.

I'm of the opinion that TC ala TM and whatever state identified as [Buddhist
term goes
here] that is brought about by whatever most Buddhists are practicing are NOT
the same
physiological state, even if the superficial description sounds the same.

Drealization due to traumatic stress in early childhood seems to involve an
immature
emotional side of the brain, combined with a normal intellectual side. The
Buddhist state
appears to involve a normal emotional side combined with an overdeveloped
intellectual
side. Both appear to involve intellectual witnessing of What Goes On.

TC due to TM, on the other hand, involves holistic functioning of the various
parts of the
brain on both sides, as though thoughts were fluctuations of a background state
of
attention-switching.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/UlWolB/TM