> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, hermandan0 <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > trying to follow new.mornings posting inspirations, i've started
> > a new thread instead of intjecting this into the old one :)
>
> Good plan.

> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "vajradhatu108"
> >
> > <snip>
> > >
> > > Of course, it's never been established that what he
> > > said at Estes Park ever "acknowledged" any such
> > > thing.
> >
> > I'm not sure exactly what the Estes Park quote is, but
> > Maharishi was quite clear that there is some "doing"
> > in the thinking/picking up of the mantra and that, yes,
> > this is a contradictory to the mantra just appearing
> > on its own. That's why the the instruction to think or
> > pick up the mantra is qualified by saying "effortlessy"
> > or "as effortessly as a thought comes". Of course one
> > is thinking and of course thinking is doing. It may be
> > an effortless doing, but it's a doing.
> >
> > While it may not be fair to dismiss TM as being a
> > technique of "effort" on account of that, vaj is, IMO,
> > not incorrect in calling it "subtle effort" becaue of
> > that doing. To misunderstand this puts one in the
> > position of a meditator I once encountered who asked
> > "What happens if you sit there for the entire 20
> > minutes and the mantra doesn't come?" Duh.
>
> The thing is, you're speaking to a person who (as
> far as I can tell) really *lives* in "Duh-land."
> She probably *believes* that if she sat there for
> 20 minutes and the mantra doesn't "come" that she's
> actually meditating.  :-)

What mantra? What level of thought? During meditation, I've gone
months--perhaps even
years--without remembering how to say my mantra out loud, and then one day,
BAM,
there it is, in all it's primitive glory--but that's exactly how its supposed
to be, also.

> The thing is, some people -- fearful types -- got
> so terrorized by the TM dogma that "effort is bad"
> that now they can't admit that there is some subtle
> effort involved with TM, EVEN WHEN MAHARISHI
> SAY IT. They hear him saying it and they feel
> that they have to come up with amazingly outlandish
> "explanations" for what he "really" meant, and how
> he couldn't *possibly* have been suggesting that
> TM involves some effort or that effort is good.
>
> In other words, for these people the dogma of
> "effortlessness" has become more important than
> the obvious reality of subtle effort.

So we don't know our own minds?
'

> OF COURSE there is some subtle effort in TM. But
> don't tell the "Duh" folks here (Sparaig and Judy),
> because it's MUCH more fun watching them jump
> through hoops trying to tell everyone that Maharishi
> didn't really mean what he said, and that they know
> better.  :-)  :-)  :-)

"Of course," there's some subtle effort: if there wasn't, you couldn't call  it
unqiue. And you
desperately need it not to be unqiue.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional