We are not hoarders and I guess I made it sound like it when I said she can't
say no. She does have to say enough is enough from time to time.Like right
now,we can't take in anymore until we have more adoptions.Periodically we have
to.We have a list to get cats into our program and it is a LONG one.So we are
not hoarders at all.Just the space we have for the felv and fiv is what it
is.We do not declaw the felv fiv cats.Wish we didn't the others,but that is not
my decision.So I don't want anybody to be horrified at the wonderful shelters
that I am proud to volunteer at.We are far from being hoarders,sorry if I made
it sound like that.We have well over 100 volunteers to help out and we do a
damn good job.
  If anyone of you visited anyone of our shelters you would see how HAPPY the
beautiful creatures are.I am done defending!!

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
      The phrase comes to mind, "The road to hell is paved with good
intentions." :(

  I have no doubt whoever is running this shelter has the best of intentions.
One of my girls, the one I think was the first positive, came from just such a
shelter (Angel Wings in Kingston, TN).  I know this lady had only the best of
intentions in her heart, and I know she loved the kitties she tried to provide
care for.  But I also know she didn't know how to say "No."  And a lot of
innocent kitties suffered as a result.  It was a heartbreaking situation
altogether :(

  Look, I have to know every day when to say "No."  My heart aches for some
poor kitties I see at local shelters and adoption agencies, but I know I am not
capable of caring for more than the three I have, and I know that to bring
healthy, negative cats into a situation where they're at high risk of
contracting FeLV is irresponsible.  I've replaced my sofa twice now due to
kitty claws (FINALLY got them all trained.  It IS possible.) but I'd never
dream of declawing, and I think most people are horrified here at the thought
of a shelter using declawing as a standard policy.  Its unimaginable.  Even the
lady I mentioned above gave me a very long lecture about declawing and made me
sign contracts that I wouldn't do it.  Siamese Rescue done the same thing when
I adopted my other two.  I think everyone here is horrified that, as you
pointed out, she can't say "no."  We all must recognize our limits.  I am not
saying you, or the woman who runs this shelter, are bad people, but
 even the best of intentions can be devastating (as I know personally.)
Hoarders "love" the cats they have, they just don't know when to say no.  Same
goes for this situation, I think.  Our hearts just ache that as horrible as FIV
and FeLV is, we have to live with the knowledge that this shelter is mixing
them, and mutilating their little paws in the process.  Its just painful. Its
not personal attacks on you, or to say that you don't have the best of
intentions in your heart.

  Reminds me of a story I heard on NPR on my way home, talking about zero
gravity effects on bacteria.  They were talking about infecting mice with
salmonella to see how long it would take them to die.  It was just painful to
listen to. :(

Michael

FareChase.