The phrase comes to mind, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."
:(

I have no doubt whoever is running this shelter has the best of  intentions.
One of my girls, the one I think was the first positive, came  from just such
a shelter (Angel Wings in Kingston, TN).  I know this lady  had only the best
of intentions in her heart, and I know she loved the kitties  she tried to
provide care for.  But I also know she didn't know how to say  "No."  And a lot
of innocent kitties suffered as a result.  It was a  heartbreaking situation
altogether :(

Look, I have to know every day when to say "No."  My heart aches for  some
poor kitties I see at local shelters and adoption agencies, but I know I am
not
capable of caring for more than the three I have, and I know that to bring
healthy, negative cats into a situation where they're at high risk of
contracting FeLV is irresponsible.  I've replaced my sofa twice now due to
kitty
claws (FINALLY got them all trained.  It IS possible.) but I'd never  dream of
declawing, and I think most people are horrified here at the thought of  a
shelter using declawing as a standard policy.  Its unimaginable.   Even the
lady I
mentioned above gave me a very long lecture about declawing and  made me sign
contracts that I wouldn't do it.  Siamese Rescue done the same  thing when I
adopted my other two.  I think everyone here is horrified  that, as you pointed
out, she can't say "no."  We all must recognize our  limits.  I am not saying
you, or the woman who runs this shelter, are bad  people, but even the best of
intentions can be devastating (as I know  personally.)   Hoarders "love" the
cats they have, they just don't  know when to say no.  Same goes for this
situation, I think.  Our  hearts just ache that as horrible as FIV and FeLV is,
we
have to live with the  knowledge that this shelter is mixing them, and
mutilating their little paws in  the process.  Its just painful. Its not
personal
attacks on you, or to say  that you don't have the best of intentions in your
heart.

Reminds me of a story I heard on NPR on my way home, talking about zero
gravity effects on bacteria.  They were talking about infecting mice with
salmonella to see how long it would take them to die.  It was just painful  to
listen
to. :(

Michael