Sometimes saying what needs to be said isn't nice, but that doesn't make it any
less important to say.  You all judge some on this list for doing the exact
same thing you are.  If everyone would be less quick to jump on the flogging
bandwagon, perhaps more constructive conversation would be possible. We have
lost a very well informed and educated voice on these forums now, and thats a
terrible loss.  I admire and respect people with a passionate view on a subject
even if I don't agree with their opinion. Sometimes the right thing to say is
not the easy thing to say.  She had every right to say what she did as everyone
else did to sling childish insults back. One line "snips" are the trademark of
a teenager, not adult discourse on an important and passionate subject.  Yes,
everyone is here to provide information and support.  Yes, everyone has
differing opinions on what that means; however, I find anyone who won't speak
their truths as theybelieve them to be morally bankrupt and not worth my time.
We ALL have a voice and be damned if anyone should be told not to use it.  If
you feel like defending claw mutilation, be my guest, but how dare anyone try
to silence the opposing opinion. Yes, some words spoken may have been harsh in
this debate, but those harsh words flowed freely from BOTH sides of this
argument, not just one.  Susan made a mistake in sending the email to the group
and not an individual.  I believe we've all done that at one time or another.
And as for what she said in it, what's said in a private email between two
people is none of anyone's business, including the people on this list.  If any
of you care, go back and read through the progression of the emails. They did
start out much more civil, and just degraded as the conversation continued, but
I can assure you one thing..you'll find just as many (if not more) people of
the opinion that claw mutilation and intentional exposure to non-curable
viruses is not a good situation, regardless  of how well the intentions are.
Like I said, I live 30 minutes from where Angel Wings used to be. I know how
good intentions go.

Let me also address briefly the issue of personal declawing/mixing.  I just
read an email from Diane R. about her decision to declaw.  Look, as I have
stated freely, I think declawing is horrible, but I don't think Susan or Glenda
or anyone else on this list was personally attacking *individuals* that are put
in tough places with tough decisions to make.  If you're forced to declaw, or
if you're forced to mix (I mix my two positives with my negative because they
were together for a year before I found out) then that's a personal decision.
Susan's and Glenda's, and yes, i'll say my, issue with that was this was a
SHELTER, a non-profit organization dedicated to rescuing and helping otherwise
helpless animals, making these choices across the board.  There's a big
difference there and in an individual owner having to make tough decisions.  It
sounds like (and I'm just stating fact here, not passing judgement on the open
forum) that the shelter in question declaws across the board (with the exeption
of FeLV/FIV+) every time a cat comes in the shelter.   Same for mixing.  They
mix every positive cat that comes through, regardless of which diagnosis they
have.  That was the concern.  Not individual choices that have to be made.
Diane R. was in a tough spot, and had to make a tough decision.  I don't know
that I would have made a different one if I were in her place.