Hi Caroline,

I can't tell you about the archives, but I can tell you about FIP and FIV.

FIP is a rare mutation of a coronavirus that almost all cats that have been
around other cats, shelter cats, etc have been exposed to.  One of my vets
puts the exposure rate to coronavirus at 95% at our local pound.  So please
DO NOT worry about contagion if the cat has FIP.  It is a mutation.  In the
past it was thought that there wasn't a way to diagnose FIP without
necropsy, but there are a couple of tests - these do not include the
coronavirus titer test, which in and of itself means basically nothing.
There is a good webinar about FIP on the Petsmart charities site, if you
really want to spend your Christmas listening to a webinar on FIP.   But in
and of itself it IS NOT contagious.  Coronavirus is contagious and it is
likely that every cat in your house has been exposed to coronavirus.

FIV is much harder to transmit than FELV.  It is mostly transmitted through
tomcats fighting and/or cats mating.  If this is a tomcat and he has been
fighting, he may have it, but unless he were to bite another cat in your
household I would absolutely not worry.  THe other thing about FIV is that
there is an FIV vaccine, which once you have your cat vaccinated with he
will always test + for FIV.  There's a seperate test that purports to
determine if the + result is from but you have to send the blood to a
well-renowned university - I want to say it is UC Davis, but not quite
sure.  You don't say how old this cat is, but kittens can test FIV+ from
maternal antibodies until about 6 months.

IF you can send me a picture of the spay site I might be able to help you
there.  A little ooziness is normal.  I may actually have follow up
instructions on my computer I can send you, I will check.

Feel free to call me if you like.

http://www.rescuties.org

http://www.zazzle.com/rescuties*

Please help Clarissa!