Lynne, I agree with your husband. You'd hate to not even have the option later. 
Perhaps you can keep it low stress by bringing him back home as soon as the vet 
can release him (if one of you can work it out to pick him up). 
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Lynne 
  Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 9:39 PM
  Subject: Re: fixing a leukemia kitty

  Thank you Laurie for your input.  My husband and I have been discussing this 
and he's of the opinion that the cat is healthy now so what would we wait for.  
Apparently when he lived at his previous owners he was always escaping and 
wanting to get out.  That's how we came to know him.  He spent almost every day 
in our driveway sleeping last summer and we became attached to him.  I always 
worried something would happen to him on his way back home in the evening 
crossing the road.  Maybe neutering will make him not want to go out although 
he hasn't even hinted at wanting to go so far.  I'm sure that would change come 
breeding season.

    ----- Original Message ----- 
    From: laurieskatz 
    Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 10:33 PM
    Subject: Re: fixing a leukemia kitty

    Lynne, my friend has all her feline leukemia kitties altered. I think one, 
in 20 years, had a problem.
    At least for a female, our vet believes the stress of the regular heat 
cycle would be greater than that of the spay. And you are right that an 
unneutered male is at risk of certain cancers...and he's already <potentially> 
immune compromised. 

    We had Isabella scheduled for her spay 2 or 3 times and each time she had a 
temp so we didn't do it. When she got so bad that we needed an ultrasound, the 
vet discovered she had hemaclips or something like that which meant she was 
already spayed. Boy were we relieved that we had not put her under and had cut 
open unnecessarily! (The vet had shaved her when we first rescued her and could 
not find a spay scar). 

    I would not be as worried about a neuter as a spay ~ if Boo is otherwise in 
good health and esp since he's not going to be vaccinated now. We did not 
vaccinate Isabella. I have watched a neuter being done. It takes no time at 
all. He won't be under long. I would ask whether they do a reversal and if the 
vet thinks this is a good idea for him.Bottom line for me ~ if the vet thinks 
it's ok to do the alter, I would be inclined to do it. Afterall, I am sure he 
doesn't want a poor result.


      ----- Original Message ----- 
      From: Lynne 
      Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 8:54 PM
      Subject: Re: fixing a leukemia kitty

      Dorothy, believe me, this is weighing heavy on my mind.  He's scheduled 
to go in this Friday.  The vet assured me he was healthy and up to it.  If it 
were a spaying I probably would definitely be worried since I think it is a 
more complicated surgery.  I still have tomorrow to reconsider.  I would 
definitely be happier if his urine were not so strong smelling and I have read 
that neutered cats can be healthier, ie less likely to develop prostate or 
other cancers so I'm really torn as to which way to go.  I do not want him to 
be wanting to go out.  The first night we had him the little buggar went 
upstairs and peed in an unoccupied bedroom and it took two days to clean, air 
the place and get the smell out.  We had his litter box ready but he chose to 
mark this room.  The door has since been closed and he faithfully uses his 
litter box but once the breeding season comes, I don't know what he'll do.  
What do the rest of you think.  Should I hold off on this surgery?  Boo is 
somewhere between 4 and 6 years old, kind of old for neutering but I truly want 
what's best for him.

      Thanks Dorothy for your input.

        ----- Original Message ----- 
        From: Dorothy Noble 
        Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 9:36 PM
        Subject: fixing a leukemia kitty

        I was reading Lynne's postings about her new cat being neutered this 
weekend -
        I just wanted to pass along a little ifo I had received from a society 
in Missouri. 

        I was looking to adopt a FeLV kitty (to be a friend to my other FeLV) 
and I was inquiring about cats that they had.  I asked if they would be spayed 
or neutered prior to adoption and she emphatically said NO.  She said that if 
they were not already fixed, they definitely do NOT recommend t hat type of 
surgery on a cat with leukemia, due to their already fragile immune systems.  
(I chose to wait until I could find one who was already fixed because I 
definitely like my cats to be altered.)

        Just a little food for thought - I would hate to have something happen 
to your friend during a surgery!

        Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! 

Reply via email to