Lynne, I agree with your husband. You'd hate to not even have the option later.
Perhaps you can keep it low stress by bringing him back home as soon as the vet
can release him (if one of you can work it out to pick him up).
  From: Lynne
  To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
  Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 9:39 PM
  Subject: Re: fixing a leukemia kitty

  Thank you Laurie for your input.  My husband and I have been discussing this
and he's of the opinion that the cat is healthy now so what would we wait for.
Apparently when he lived at his previous owners he was always escaping and
wanting to get out.  That's how we came to know him.  He spent almost every day
in our driveway sleeping last summer and we became attached to him.  I always
worried something would happen to him on his way back home in the evening
crossing the road.  Maybe neutering will make him not want to go out although
he hasn't even hinted at wanting to go so far.  I'm sure that would change come
breeding season.

  Lynne