just wondering if you are working with alley cat allies, and following their
protocol re: testing and releasing/treating FeLV cats? my understanding is
that they do not endorse euthanizing positive, asymptomatic cats, so testing
daisy would only give you some health information. i believe they have a
really good explanation for how they've come to their decisions re:
testing--i am also very aware that their decision regarding this is
controversial. all the of the experienced feral rescuers i know personally,
however, whether they have specific experience with FeLV or not, have said
the same thing: we do NOT kill healthy cats just because they MIGHT get sick
at some point.

what a concept!

and also not sure what you mean when you say the cats have tested
positive--using which tests? how far apart?

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Sharyl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have been feeding a dumpster colony of kitties for several months with
> the goal of doing TNR (trap/neuter/release) for those that I can not
> rescue.  Of the 3 kittens I rescued 2, Sissy and Rocket, were FeLV+.  They
> are about 9 months old now and are doing well.  Both have test positive
> twice.
> Their sister, Daisy, had a litter before I was able to TNR her.  The
> kittens were approx. 4 weeks old when I got them.  I took them because 1 had
> both eyes stuck shut and 1 had 1 eye stuck shut.  The next day I was finally
> able to trap Daisy using a kitten as bait in the carrier.    Daisy has since
> been spayed and released.  The babies have received one worm treatment, got
> terramycin salve in their eyes for a week, and have lysine added to their
> food.
> It appears that Mattie will be blind.  She is the biggest of the 4 and very
> feisty.   I had her tested and the vet said she was very, very, very FeLV+.
> No idea what 3 verys mean.  CJ may have some limited vision in her bad eye.
> Bright Eyes and Houdini (escaped from the dog crate twice now) seem healthy.
>   I am adding L-Lysine and Mega C Plus to their food.  I am looking for
> advice on what else I can do to help them throw off this virus.
> They will each be tested when I have them spayed.   Sissy and Rocket were
> several months old when I rescued them.  Didn't know if starting treatments
> earlier would improve the odds that they could beat this.   Any advise on
> how to proceed with now 5 1/2 wk old kittens would be appreciated.
> By the way Stormie, same colony but different Mom from Sissy, Rocket and
> Daisy, tested negative.  I did not have Daisy tested.  I knew I could not
> afford to keep her if she was positive and simply do not have the
> disposition to have a cat PTS simply because she is positive.   At least she
> will not have any more litters.  There is one more sister, Mae, that I have
> been trying to trap for TNR.
> Sharyl Sissy, Rocket and the babies
> _______________________________________________
> Felvtalk mailing list
> Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
> http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org

Spay & Neuter Your Neighbors!
Maybe That'll Make The Difference....

Felvtalk mailing list

Reply via email to