From: Felvtalk <felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org> On Behalf Of Lorraine
Johnston
Sent: April 20, 2019 5:50 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Hyper thyroid in cats

Amani, I’m not sure who you’re addressing with this latest message, or what you
mean by “don’t remember that being mentioned,” but I was responding to the
original poster (dlg...@windstream.net <mailto:dlg...@windstream.net-see> – see
bottom) who said that her cat is on Felimazole and that one of her prior cats
did badly after I-131 (radioactive iodine).

- Lorraine

Did I miss something in the original post about FeLV? I don’t remember that
being mentioned.

Anyhow, I would reiterate my suggestion to look into CBD Oil if that is also a
concern, given the lack of any side-effects reported with its use. CBD Oil
could be used along with the Felimazole, as it would not likely have any
interference with the other medication, if there was a concern regarding
discontinuing one to start the other. However, if you get a good result, you
would have difficulty knowing which was responsible.

Amani

Hello,
We have taken numerous cats to Radiocat for iodine-131 treatment -- at least 10
-- in the past 15-20 years. In spite of our mostly good experiences with I-131,
I would think hard before putting a FeLV cat through it. If the Felimazole is
working, I would be inclined to continue with it.
But if you do want to try I-131 therapy, I would first have a FeLV ‘viral load’
test run. Scanelis in France offers it. I can pass along the info your vet
would need to draw the blood Scanelis would need to run the test. They are in
the south of France, near Toulouse, and do speak English of course, so
communicating is just fine. The cost was about (USD) $109 plus shipping, about
$200 altogether.
It’s unfortunate that no US company runs a similar test, not even the older
cd4:c8 ratio that I found useful. Sigh.
Best regards,
Lorraine
On April 18, 2019 at 3:12 PM
"dlg...@windstream.net<mailto:dlg...@windstream.net>"
<dlg...@windstream.net<mailto:dlg...@windstream.net>> wrote:
Hello everyoone,
I have a 12 year old former feral who was diagnosed with hyper thyroid
yesterday.  Herm level is 4.7 and she is one meds, 2.5mg of Felimazole morning
and evening.  I had one cat about 10 years ago that we did radioactive iodine.
the isolation was very hard on her and she went downhill after she got home,
bleeeding from nose, etc.  don't really want to repeat that.  Homey is
especially bonded with me and has been my caregiver since my heart surgery.
she has alerted me to one time of gasping for air in the night and 3 instances
of low sugar.  she sleeps plastered to my chest and when she is on my lap,
holds on to me .  I am very attached to her and do not want to loose her so am
hoping meds work.