I know.  It is like the way things are done in 3D Studio.  Unfortunately, most
of these features aren't working with 3ds format in FlightGear.  I even had a
specular level problem at the very beginning.

As for illumination, it is better done by a mask rather than selecting
material property.  For example, the logo light only shines on certain
portion of the vertical stabilizer, not the entire thing.  From the way
things looked, it doesn't seem that AC3D can handle this effect either.

These problems are why I am proposing that some changes should be made to the
way textures are handled.  May be it is possible to call an external library
to pre-read a texture, then passit to plib and tell it to use that to render
certain effects so as to bypass file format specific problems?

Regards,
Ampere