"Ampere K. Hardraade" said:

> On July 8, 2004 09:47 am, Andy Ross wrote:
> > Not to pass the buck, but this is really a plib question.
> Why did I have a feeling that I was going to get that answer? =P
>
> In the short term, I guess I can export those parts that need illumination
> into ac format, thus bypassing the whole 3ds illumination problem altogether.
> However, I don't think this can be a permanent solution.  As far as I can
> tell, illumination in ac format seems to be an all or nothing deal -- either
> the entire object illuminates, or no illumination at all.  If my observation
> is correct, this means that it won't be possible to create effects such as
> lighting fall off.  So in the long term, it will probably be a good idea to
> sort out the effects (illumination, glossness, specular level, transparency,
> perhaps reflection, etc.) within FlightGear before passing things to plib for
> rendering (without breaking the encapsulation of course).

I'm not sure what you are saying here.  It is certainly possible to have
emissivity values set at intermediate levels, and to have them specified per
vertex (actually per surface).

There currently isn't any support for fading (dynamically changing) emissive
properties in our animation code,  but it probably could be done.  Actually it
is on my list of things to investigate "when I get a few extra minutes" (tm)
as it would be great for the modeling of 3D cockpit/panel lighting.

Best,

Jim