Christian et al,

My comparative ignorance of Java hampers me here, but might it not be
possible to provide some sort of upgrade insurance by attempting to
isolate version-dependent components behind access classes which provide
a common interface and graceful degradation in the case of unsupported
features?  Put all of the version-dependent classes in a separate jar,
and compile and build that jar with the current version.  Notify users
about this problem, and get those with particular environments to build
fop-jverdep.jar (or whatever) and feed it back to us.  The binary
download environment can be set up to accommodate each supported Java
version, with the fop.jar as a common link.

Obviously it's more work for us, and more discipline when introducing
new features, but it takes care of the customers.  That's if it can be
done at all.

Peter

--
Peter B. West  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://powerup.com.au/~pbwest