Peter,

that's a good idea, but as you said, it's more work for us and it
increases complexity. So I think we're basically in for the following
approach:

1. Compile with JDK 1.3 and provide restricted use with Java 1.2 for the
0.20.4 release. (Notice in the release notes necessary)

2. Try to build up the support for version dependant code for the next
release. Maybe we can even use that to improve the quality of the AWT
renderer because there seem to be huge differences between 1.2, 1.3 and
1.4. Any takers, any objections?

> My comparative ignorance of Java hampers me here, but might it not be
> possible to provide some sort of upgrade insurance by attempting to
> isolate version-dependent components behind access classes which provide
> a common interface and graceful degradation in the case of unsupported
> features?  Put all of the version-dependent classes in a separate jar,
> and compile and build that jar with the current version.  Notify users
> about this problem, and get those with particular environments to build
> fop-jverdep.jar (or whatever) and feed it back to us.  The binary
> download environment can be set up to accommodate each supported Java
> version, with the fop.jar as a common link.
>
> Obviously it's more work for us, and more discipline when introducing
> new features, but it takes care of the customers.  That's if it can be
> done at all.

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

OUTLINE AG
Tel. +41 41 317 2020 - Fax +41 41 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch