Hi,

Wow, that was fast. Klaus M?ller's comment helped.
I switched off all APIs in the maker.ini file
([Preferences] API=Off). Then the update took only
5 to 10 seconds. After I switched all APIs on again
and restarted FrameMaker, the book update took still
only 5 to 10 seconds. Problem solved.

I do not know which of the few APIs I have installed,
caused this. Anyway, now I know what to do when that
happens again.

Thank you very much also to all the others who tried
to help (Dave Shenton, Fred Ridder).

Best regards

Winfried