I think that there may be some confusion about local vs. network
folders/drives. Perhaps I read too much into Ken's responses from the Adobe
tech!

In my case, all application executables are on my drive C and the data files
are on drive E on the _same_ system. I.e., drive E is _not_ a network-mounted
drive ... it is physically installed on my laptop.

For this "all local drives" arrangement, there should _never_ be any issue for
any modern Windows application.

However, if the data files are on a network server, even if that folder/drive
is "mounted" as a "local" drive letter in Windows, then I can see where
incorrect permissions on that remote location can cause confusion and access
issues. You _have_ to have write permission on that remote drive/folder for
example.

FWIW, I have used FrameMaker on a network without problems. I regularly back up
my files onto a network server (into a folder where I have read/write access).
Indeed, I just checked ... I don't have any difficulty opening those remote
files, editing/saving, etc.

The point being that things on networks just have to be set up correctly, so an
Adobe tech may want to _not_ recommend this for everybody. Regardless, I would
not consider that as official Adobe policy.