Matthias Pfafferodt <matthias.pfaffer...@mapfa.de> writes:

> Am Thursday 08 October 2009 01:43:23 schrieb Goswin von Brederlow:
>> On a related matter, how does migration work with the patch?
>>
>> The patch says the city radius is considered. Does the other city need
>> to lie within the city raidus? Do the city radius of both cities need
>> to overlap? Can there be a gap of <x> tiles between the city radii of
>> both cities?
>>
>> I think the migration distance config option should select this, e.g.
>>
>> -99: city must lie within city radius
>> -x: city radii must overlap
>> 0: city radii must touch
>> x: there may be x tiles between city radii
>>
>> I think a default of -1 would make sense.
>
> At the moment migration is defined by a migration distance (1 to 7). The
> patch
> #1232 adds the possibility to set the migration distance to 0. In this case,
> the migration distance depends on the city radius (migration distance = city
> radius + 1; your case 0).

I will definetly want to have more choices there.

> As for the migration one has to check all tiles within migration radius of
> the
> receiving city for giver cities the radius should be as small as possible.

If checking the tiles is too expensive then cache the result:

When creating a city check if it is within the migration radius of
another city and link it into a migration list for that city. When
the city radius of a city changes (and therefor migration radius) then
scan the area once to rebuild the list.

But is it too much work? If I understood migration right then it is
done only once every 5 turns.

MfG
        Goswin