[...]
> > city_radius_sq = 5 => city_radius = 2
> > mgr_dist = 2
> > max distance for migration (tiles) = 2 + 2 =4
> >
> > city_radius_sq = 10 => city_radius = 3(.1) = 3
> > mgr_dist = 2
> > max distance for migration (tiles) = 3 + 2 =5
>
> Yes, that is along the lines of my though.

a new patch is available implementing radius_sq and this definition of the
migration distance

> Defining max distance for migration (tiles) = radius1 + radius2 + X
> would make things more difficult I guess. radius2 won't be known so
> you would have to assume the maximum, scan for cities and then check
> if their radius is big enough for migration.
>
> But just radius1 + X should be easy to code.

[...]
> Actualy I thing something like that is already needed. The road/rail
> building AI currently has no notion of connecting cities, only
> adjacent tiles. With city_min_dist raised that performes really bad.
> If a city knew the surrounding cities the auto-worker could build a
> road on a line between two cities.
>
> But a lot of AI code needs a fresh look and redesign I feel.

This is known but nobody takes this job. I still have one thing open:  bug
#13599  [RFC; patch] pollution on lakes / ocean
(https://gna.org/bugs/?13599). But it is really hard to understand the ai
code ...

> >> But is it too much work? If I understood migration right then it is
> >> done only once every 5 turns.
> >
> > That's right. Migration is checked every fifth turn after a city was
> > founded (default settings).
> >
> > Does the variable city radii work for you?
>
> Seems to work great so far. I'm not sure the plague settings are fine
> tuned yet though. I have a large food box and cities always get plague
> before hitting size 12 an requiring a Sewer System. The plague
> effectively obsoletes the size 12 limit except when migration happens
> a lot and the city shoots up. Not sure if that should be that way.
>
> My biggest city is size 17 so far. I will have to see if the plague
> allows the city to grow to size 30 at all.

Did you try the experimental ruleset? There, some buildings with a 'health'
effect are added. This means, that the possibility of an illness is reduced.
Furthermore you could check the corresponding wiki page
(http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Math_of_Freeciv).

Matthias

> > Matthias
> >
> >> MfG